Cool Facts about Your Country
Did You Know?
- Table Mountain is one of the oldest mountains in the world. It also has more than 1 500 species of plants – that’s more than the entire plant population of the United Kingdom!
Interest & General Knowledge
- South Africa is the second largest exporter of fruit in the world.
- South Africa has the longest wine route in the world. Route 62 stretches 850 kilometres from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.
- South Africa is a solar energy hotspot.
- The Karoo region is home to some of the best early dinosaur fossils.
- Approximately 900 bird species are found in South Africa - that’s 10% of the world’s total bird species.
- South Africa has the highest commercial Bungi jump in the world! The Bloukrans Bridge Jump is a whopping 216 metre freefall.