Did you know?
Under the Sea
Did You Know?
Under the Sea|inline|https://cms.contactmedia.co.za/image/81a803b503134e567c19e90a488f8722|landscape|c|jpeg|jellyfish EDIT.jpg|Can starfish regenerate lost arms?|center|
Sharks, whales, dolphins - we unveil some of their secrets!
- Sharks do not have a single bone in their bodies. Their skeleton is made up of cartilage; the same type that makes up human ears and noses!
- Whales love to sing! They use this as a call to mates and a way to communicate and also just for fun!
- Dolphins use a blowhole on top of their heads to breathe.
- Starfish can regenerate lost arms. It’s useful when threatened by a predator as it can drop an arm, get away, and grow a new arm.
- The largest turtle is the leatherback sea turtle. It can weigh over 900 kg!
- Octopuses’ have a soft body with no skeleton and they have three hearts.
- The female seahorse lays her eggs in the male’s tummy pouch. He incubates them for about 30 days before they hatch.
- Jellyfish have been on Earth for millions of years, even before dinosaurs!
- Electric eels have an electricity producing organ that takes up 80% of their body and can generate up to 600 volts.
- Crabs have eyes on the stalks, just like snails. They can distinguish colours, but their eyes see a lot less details than human eyes.