Did You Know...?
Awesome Facts about the Beach & Ocean!
- Beach sand is not just sand, it’s actually made up of loose rock particles, gravel, shingle, pebbles, cobblestones and even shells.
- Beaches come in many different colours: white, gray, gold-yellow, brown, red and even black!
Everybody loves the beach, here are a few interesting facts that you can use to impress your friends next time you find yourself by the sea!
- The very best beaches around the World are awarded internationally recognised Blue Flag status, based on things such as water quality and safety conditions.
- The longest beach in the world is Praia do Cassino Beach in Rio, Brazil. It stretches out over approximately 212 kilometres.
- Last year (2015) the tallest sandcastle ever made stood at a whopping 13.97 metres tall. It was created by Ted Siebert and his team of 19 others on Virginia Key Beach in Miami, Florida.
- During winter the Arctic Ocean is almost completely covered in sea ice.
- The deep sea is the largest museum on Earth! There are more artefacts and remnants of history in the ocean than in all of the world’s museums combined.
- The longest ride ever ridden by a surfer on a wave lasted 37 minutes.
- The deepest point in the ocean is almost 11 kilometres down. That’s nearly 2 kilometres deeper than the height of Mount Everest!
- The proportion of people that go to the beach that can't swim is roughly 1 out of 3.