1. Rooibos tea is only grown in a small region in the Western Cape’s Cederberg and is exported worldwide from here in massive quantities!
2. Our local South African coast boasts more than 2 000 shipwrecks.
3. South Africa hosts the largest individually-timed cycling race in the world (the Cape Argus), the world’s largest ultra-marathon (the Comrades), and the world’s largest open water swimming event (the Midmar Mile).
Proudly South African facts you probably didn't know!
4. Two-thirds of the African continent’s electricity is generated by South Africa alone.
5. Chris Hani-Baragwaneth Hospital in Soweto is the biggest hospital in the world!
6. The world’s best land-based whale-watching spot is located in Hermanus, in the Western Cape.
7. There are 39 million cell phone users in South Africa!
8. One of the three largest telescopes in the world is housed in Sutherland, in the Karoo.
9. The greatest variety of wildlife species on the continent can be found at the Kruger National Park.
10. The biggest theme resort hotel in the world and the largest building project undertaken in the southern hemisphere is The Palace of the Lost City, in the North West province.