Hey kids, did you know that you if you throw just about anything into the environment that doesn’t belong there you are setting traps for animals and birds? They are called LITTER TRAPS!
Hey kids, did you know that you if you throw just about anything into the environment that doesn't belong there you are setting traps for animals and birds?
- Any food or container that smells of food, thrown out of a car window, brings animals and birds onto the road, putting them in danger of being run over. Even an apple core tossed out of a window is harmful to wild creatures.
- Chewing gum is also bad news! Birds try to eat it and then are unable to remove it from their beaks. It also sticks to their toes and they can’t perch properly.
- Plastic litter is a huge problem for sea creatures and makes nasty traps for fish, frogs and crabs. Turtles mistake clear plastic bags filled with water for jelly fish and eat them. Plastic bags are also eaten by cows, donkeys and wild animals. They can’t digest the plastic, so it kills them.
- Toss a tin can or bottle out the window and you’ve set a litter trap for little creatures like lizards, snakes, field mice and bees. They are enticed into the container by the smell of the contents, and then they can’t escape. Monkeys have also been found with their hands cut, torn or trapped in tin cans.
- One cigarette butt tossed carelessly out of the car window could start a huge fire and destroy the grassland homes of small buck, birds, owls, tortoises and so many other animals and insects. Hopefully, nobody smokes in your car!
Get the picture? If we litter, we set traps! So, what can YOU do?
Be part of the solution!
- Ask everyone not to litter and tell them about litter traps.
- Take charge of a litterbag for your family car and become planet manager for your family.
- Create awareness of litter traps in your part of South Africa.